Metacognitive Reflection #1

The Quiet Observer a.k.a. Me

The socratic circle of my peers was a "spot-on" representation of my role within a group discussion. I am a shy person by nature, not by choice so I often find it difficult to find my voice within a group setting. My major weakness would be that I don't take enough risks in voicing my opinion. I tend to withhold my thoughts instead of saying them and letting other people respond because I am partly self-conscious in what they will say. On the other hand, I believe my greatest strength is that I am a great listener. Instead of saying whatever comes to mind, I absorb what others say, process them, and form my own opinion from the discussion. I may not have much to say, but when I do contribute what I do say often has some substance and validity.

It's going to be a little more difficult for me, but I am going to try to not worry myself about what others might think of my opinions, and have faith and confidence that my opinion is just as valid as anyone elses. I don't think I necessarily need to take a leadership role, but rather apply the leadership techniques that I've learned and help not only myself, but others engage in conversation.

My adjective label in a group would be "Attentive" due to the fact that I simply am an effective listener and that I pay attention and absorb others' views on the subject.

1 comments:

J. Hindley said...

I concur. I have always noted that you pay attention well. Your process is sound. We don't all need to think aloud. I think you will find as you carry on in your education that you discover your voice and use it more. This develops with confidence in your subject and your point of view. So, you're exactly on track. Your goals are very sound.

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a OCD perfectionist, who loves playing sports, and who wants so badly to go to University and become a nurse. Although outwardly shy and quiet, I have an inner voice that screams to be heard, if only my mouth would open to speak.